Google

Monday, November 26, 2007

Take a deep breath - Skype

Which IM do you use?

When it comes to chating with one's friends/family staying far apart, I went through many transitions.

My first one was yahoo messenger. An IM which had a lot to offer and went into many upgrades to offer more but so far I liked it only for text messaging. It offers(ed?) a group chat where one can join to various Public rooms created by user or by system and interact people with desired interest. Actually those rooms are created based on a number of factors like Region, Religion, Sports, Music, Movies, Dating, Belief, Education etc.

Then I tried Rediff bol which I didn't find much of interest and has very less users across globe so limits the scope to interact with more number of people.

Third one would be MSN messenger now, Windows Live Messenger which I find very user friendly and attractive as far as GUI is concerned. Minus points for this could be, this is not used as widely as yahoo messenger and one can not leave (or migrate all) their friend's group. Though now the Windows Live meessenger gives you the option of communicating with your friends who are using yahoo messenger as well. But again it limits the possibilities and speed of course which is number one priority in IM.

Next I hooked up with Google Talk or GTALK which impressed me a lot with its quality of PC-to-PC voice calls. You can talk to anyone else for free who's online and has the Google Talk client with no lag as you must have experinced in case of other IMs. Integration with Gmail, Gmail has chat built right in, so you can easily switch between emailing and instant messaging with your contacts. There is much more that i can talk about GTALK but these are already here. I just love the simplicity it offers with wide range of usability.

If you like to know about some other jabber clients check this out.

Last and latest one, I used Skype and if I have to give points out of 100, I'll give it at least 100. Skype is software that lets you use your computer and internet connection to communicate with anyone, anywhere in the world.
>>The Best quality of Free calls and video calls- When you and the person you're calling are both on Skype, the calls are free. Oh, and video calls are free too.
>>Call to International phones and mobiles at pretty cheap rates per minute.
>>Instant message when it's not a good time to talk.
>>Yes, I could give it 200 out of 100 but i deducted some points for its complexity and the memory it eats while running.

Till now I have been using every thing for free but I am thinking to spend on skype now. You might want to check out the Connection fee for SkypeOut calls and call-rates for different countries.

Please share your own experience with these or any other IM too. I know there are a lot of them out there.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker